The Department of Marine Engineering, was established in the year 2001 with the aim to educate and impart skills required to operate and manage machineries in modern ships of merchant marine fleet. A career in the Merchant marine as an Engineer Officer can be a rewarding one, both financially and in terms of job satisfaction. For the able young officer, the system provides a smooth and rapid path of career development. The process is likely to take almost eight years from the commencement of cadetship till qualifying with Class 2 Certificate. Further, 3 years may be required to go up in the hierarchy to become Chief Engineer (Class I Certificate). A modern day ship is equipped with propulsion plants, power generating plants, cargo gears and many other service equipments along with their associated control systems. The engineers are responsible for safe operation of all machineries and their periodic maintenances. After having obtained their Class I Certificate and experience as a senior officer on board, they seek employment ashore. Shore based employers generally have high regard for the seafaring engineer and consequently the transfer from shipboard to land based employment is usually easily achieved.
|Name of the Programme|
|B.E. Marine Engineering with Minor Degree in Artificial Intelligence|
- Obtained 'A1'(Outstanding) Grade in the CIP inspection carried out by DNV-GL, approved by Directorate General of Shipping, Govt. of India for the 3 consecutive years
- Internship in Ship-in-Campus is modeled to the competency required for MEO Class IV Exams
- Providing a Value added Course "High Voltage Safety and Switch Gear – Operational Level" to the cadets with the approval of Directorate General of Shipping
- Providing Simulator Training to the BE (Marine Engineering) & GME cadets
- Obtained approval from the Directorate of General of Shipping to send the Maersk placed cadets for On Board Training in their vessel as part of their 4 year training
- Special welding course conducted for Maersk placed cadets by Indian Register of Shipping and issuing "Welder's Qualification Test Certificate"
- Motivating the students to enroll in online certification courses, NPTEL etc.
- Conducted three international Conferences in the year 2016 and 2017
- Cadet Rahul Prabhu, Participated in the IAMU Students Forum 2015 held at Tokyo, Japan, 21-23 July 2015
- Cadet Neelesh, attended the Workshop & Seminar at Maritime Academy of Asia and the Pacific (MAAP) Manila/Mariveles, 22-29 September, 2013