Pre-Sea GP Rating (6 Months)
The six months General Purpose Rating (GP Rating) approved by the Directorate General of Shipping (Government of India). On successful completion of this course, the candidates will be eligible to join in Indian/Foreign Shipping companies as a Deck/Engine crew. With further sea service, they would be promoted as Motorman/Oil man, Fitter, Deck Serang, Able-Bodied Seamen, Bosun. They can also be promoted to officer level with certain sea service and qualification requirements on passing the examinations conducted by DGS. This course is strictly residential.
Course commencement :
Every year January / July Month.
- 10th Standard pass from government recognized board with subjects English, Mathematics and Science with 40% aggregate. English 40% in 10th / 12th.
- 12th Standard (any stream) pass from government recognized board with 40% aggregate. English 40% at 10th / 12th but with subjects English, Mathematics and Science at 10th
- Pass in 2 year ITI Course (Fitter / Machinist / Mechanic / Welder / Turner) approved by DVET / NCVT with minimum 40% aggregate marks in final year of ITI & minimum 40% in English in 10th / 12th
- Passport is mandatory.
Age Limit :
Between 17 1/2 and 25 years (on commencement of course). Relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit over and above the age limit for admission to the pre-sea maritime course for the candidates belonging to SC/ST.
Medical Examination :
Selected candidates undergo a stringent medical examination with DG Approved Doctor.
Pyschometric Test :
A qualified psychologist conducts personality profiling of prospective candidates to check their suitability.
Mode of Selection :
Online Entrance Examination and Personal Interview.
Career Opportunity and Growth :
- Join a shipping company as Deck Rating (or) Engine Rating.
- After 6 months of service, quality as Rating forming part of Navigation watch or Engineering watch.
- Further sea service to become Able Seafarer Deck or Engine There are possibilities of growth from a 'Rating' to an officer on ships. A committed person can rise to the levels of a Captain or a Chief Engineer by passing Certificate of Competency for officers.
Subject to meeting DGS Requirement, guidance meritorious students will be given to progress as Merchant Navy Officer.